Being accused of a felony DUI is a serious matter that requires a robust and strategic defense. At Miles Hansford, LLC, we understand the immense stress and uncertainty that accompanies a felony DUI charge. Our team of seasoned criminal defense attorneys is here to help your navigate these treacherous legal waters. Our DUI defense team is ready to work with you, one on one, through each step of the process ahead.
When Does a DUI become a Felony in Georgia?
While a driving under the influence (DUI) charge is typically categorized as a misdemeanor in Georgia, specific circumstances can escalate the charge to a felony DUI. This escalation brings with it significantly more severe penalties, potentially impacting your freedom, your finances, and your future.
You may face a felony DUI charge under the following conditions:
- Fourth or Subsequent DUI Conviction: If this is your fourth or subsequent DUI conviction within a ten-year period, the state of Georgia elevates the charge to a felony. The law takes repeat offenses seriously, aiming to discourage habitual violations and protect public safety.
- Evading Law Enforcement: If you attempt to evade an officer while under the influence, you're not only facing a DUI charge but also the possibility of a felony offense. Fleeing or attempting to elude law enforcement is viewed as a significant escalation in terms of legal consequences.
- Causing Serious Injury or Death: If your DUI incident leads to serious injury or death to someone else, including an unborn fetus, the charge becomes a felony. These cases are particularly grave and demand immediate legal attention.
A felony DUI carries severe consequences. Among them is a potential prison sentence of at least one year, with the potential for a 5-year prison sentence. There would also be fines of up to $5,000, weeks of community service, up to 10 years of driver license suspension, and more. The ripple effects of being branded a convicted felon can also reach beyond the immediate legal penalties, potentially affecting your personal and professional life for years to come.
How Our Felony DUI Attorneys Can Help
The team at Miles Hansford, LLC is dedicated to providing a robust and comprehensive defense for those facing felony DUI charges. Our knowledgeable attorneys have years of experience in Georgia's legal system, and we will work tirelessly to protect your rights and work towards the best possible outcome for your case. We are committed to standing by your side throughout this challenging time and providing the legal support you need.
Brian A. HansfordAttorney & Founding PartnerBrian Hansford is one of the founding partners of Miles Hansford, LLC. With over 15 years of experience, he is the leading criminal defense attorney at the firm and has successfully represented clients facing DUIs, drug violations and felonies, as well as ...
I am not sure you hear this much but thank you for being a great person and amazing lawyer! You covered every detail and did it with compassion and intelligence! I still feel when some things come up I have all details covered.
- We Provide a One-on-One Client Experience
- We're Committed to Finding a Solution
- Years of Collective Legal Experience
- We Want the Best for Each Client