Is Your Ex Failing to Pay Child Support?

Many Georgia families know that divorce can be hard on finances. If you have children in your care the majority of the time, money problems can quickly arise if child support is not being paid as it should be. What can you do if your ex is failing to pay child support per your divorce agreement? 


There are a few things you can do if you find yourself in this situation. First, you can talk to your ex. There may be several reasons he or she hasn’t paid support. By talking things through, you may be able to work out a temporary agreement until the other parent can start paying in full again and make up for the missed payments.  

If talking to your ex fails to work, you can file a complaint with the state. There are different ways the state can enforce payment. The most severe penalty, of course, is jail time. 

What about a new support order? 

In some cases, a new support order may solve the problem. If you or your ex feels a new order is called for, you can negotiate new terms with the assistance of legal counsel. If negotiations fail, you can take the matter to court and let a judge weigh in. Either parent can seek a new support order at any time; however, there needs to be a good reason to do so, such as a substantial change in circumstances.  

Get help 

If you are struggling to get your ex to pay child support, you do not have to fight this battle alone. Your children deserve to be taken care of and have their needs met. An experienced Georgia-based family law attorney may be able to assist you as you fight for payment and, if necessary a new support order that fits your needs. To learn more, please take a moment and visit our firm’s website.  

Related Posts
  • Georgia's Child Support Enforcement Program: What You Need to Know Read More
  • How Can Dads Survive a Co-Parenting Arrangement? Read More
  • Remarriage and Co-Parenting: Dos and Don’ts Read More